Let me take you back in time. It is February, 2006 (not far back, but still). My brother is getting married, and I am helping to plan the wedding dinner. They have chosen dark brown, cream, and a rust-red color for their colors.
We decided to put brown squares of fabric over the tablecloths. I decided to get the fabric (and some coordinating ones) from the quilt shop so it would be good quality fabric to make into a quilt after the wedding. I liked the idea of reusing the fabric, plus I thought it would be cool for them to have something made from their wedding decorations (I didn't tell them this, so they weren't waiting for it.)
Nearly a year and a half later, it's done! This quilt is completely random. I started out planning to use all the same blocks (simple, brown squares with scrappy sashing), but added a couple of stack 'n' slash blocks for variety and really liked it. After that I just made several kinds of blocks and put it together however I wanted.
Here's a (bad) shot of (almost) the whole thing - it is REALLY hard to get a (good) picture of an entire quilt! Even if it's just lap-sized.
The back and binding are tan flannel, and the quilting is one continuous line starting in the middle to form concentric squares.
The border quilting is two sets of two interweaving lines. Machine quilted, of course. I used cotton variegated thread (brown, cream, rust - perfect!) for all the quilting, and I really liked how that turned out.
My first goal was to have it done for their first Christmas. Then, by their first anniversary. Finally, I said that it had to be done before their baby was born.
Well, I finished it May 28th, the day before my SIL went to the hospital, as little Samuel decided to come nearly a month early!
Whew! I just made it! Mailed it off this week, so they should have it by now. I hope they like it.
Better late than never.